Saturday, October 8, 2011

Activating iPad 2 on Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty)


Without to many investigations I recently ordered an iPad 2 for home usage. Upon upstart I to my regret discovered that it requires to be coupled with a iTunes MaC or PC (Windows). After some googling I found that libimobiledevice will do the trick. I have seen many installation guidelines of how to install libimobiledevice, but none solving the error I ran into. Therefore this blog entry.

NB. I am an Ubuntu/Linux newbee and there may be better ways of solving the troubles I had.
 
Here is what I ended up doing.

I found the blog entry Ubuntu - Activate your brand new iPAD without iTunes and followed the guidelines. Upon the step Compile & Install LIBIMOBILEDEVICE library and tools I however ran into troubles. When executing the command

./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr

It stopped in the process with the error message 

checking for libusbmuxd... configure: error: Package requirements (libusbmuxd >= 0.1.4) were not met: 

No package 'libusbmuxd' found 

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you installed software in a non-standard prefix. 

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables libusbmuxd_CFLAGS and libusbmuxd_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config. 
See the pkg-config man page for more details.


It took me some time and lots of googling to realize what the problem was. I had the libusbmuxd pakcage installed, but not the libusbmuxd-dev package. (Inspiration was found in the forum entry schwierigkeiten mit "libimobiledevise-1.0.4"). I therefore used Synaptic Package Manager to install libusbmuxd-dev package (version 1.0.7-1ubuntu1~natty1 in my case).

This solved the issue but lead to a totally similar error for the libplist package. I therefore also installed libplist-dev (version 1.4-1ubuntu1~natty1).

The rest of the installation was a sweet deal just following the rest of Nicolas Bernaerts excellent guidelines.

No comments:

Post a Comment